This completely comforting, scrumptious vegan lasagna layers earthy butternut squash seasoned with mushrooms and sweet spices, leafy greens, pasta, and a creamy plant-based sage walnut sauce. This recipe for Butternut Squash Lasagna with Sage Walnut Sauce screams pure fall essence, though it’s delicious served at holidays and year round, really. I love to serve this vegan lasagna recipe for parties and potlucks, as you can make it ahead of time. With its gorgeous yellow-orange colors and vibrant flavors, this butternut squash lasagna is a true standout! Plus it’s packed with good nutrition! Make it gluten-free by using gluten-free pasta and substituting cornstarch instead of flour in the sauce.
Butternut Squash Lasagna with Sage Walnut Sauce
Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Yield: 8 servings 1x
This healthy, vegan Butternut Squash Lasagna with Sage Walnut Sauce is layered with earthy butternut squash cooked with mushrooms and sweet spices, greens, and a creamy plant-based sage walnut sauce.
Butternut Squash Filling:
- 9 sheets of lasagna
- 1 small head leafy greens (i.e., spinach, kale, dandelion greens, turnips greens), chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup shredded plant-based cheese
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
Sage Walnut Cream Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage (or 1 tablespoon dried)
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 cups plant-based milk, plain, unsweetened (use a rich, creamy milk, such as oat or soy)
- To make Butternut Squash Filling: Split butternut squash in half, remove the seeds, slice into pieces, remove peels, and dice. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch Oven, and add squash, onion, and mushrooms, sautéing for 3 minutes over medium heat. Add water, turmeric, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne, and salt (optional) and stir well. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and blend with an immersion blender until smooth (alternately, transfer in batches to a large blender and blend until smooth).
- Meanwhile, prepare Sage Walnut Cream Sauce by heating olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add walnuts, sage, salt, black pepper, and nutmeg and sauté for 3 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring, for one additional minute. Stir in plant-based milk and cook, stirring with a whisk, until smooth and thickened.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- To prepare lasagna, place ½ cup of the Sage Walnut Cream Sauce at the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish. Arrange 3 lasagna sheets over the squash. Add 1 cup of the chopped greens over the pasta. Cover with 1/3 of the butternut squash filling, and 1/3 of the remaining sage walnut cream sauce. Repeat the layers two more times (pasta, greens, butternut squash filling, and sage walnut cream sauce). Sprinkle with the plant-based cheese and breadcrumbs on the final layer.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375 F for 35 minutes on top shelf. Remove foil and bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden on top and tender.
- Slice into squares. Makes 8 servings.
Make it gluten-free by using gluten-free pasta and substituting cornstarch instead of flour in the sauce.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 277
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 305 mg
- Fat: 16 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 33 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 9 g
Keywords: butternut squash lasagna, vegan lasagna, vegan lasagna recipe
For more plant-based lasagna recipes, check out some of my favorites here:
Vegan Cauliflower Spinach Lasagna
Swiss Chard Pecan Lasagna
Vegan Baked Mediterranean Lasagna
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information click here.
Leave a Reply