These all occasion Classic Vegan Sugar Cookies are based upon my mother’s easy sugar cookies recipe—it’s now a third generation recipe, as I’ve handed it down to my sons. Originally, this sugar cookie recipe wasn’t vegan, but I worked with these cookies over time to create this simple, few-ingredient vegan sugar cookie that is truly a fail-proof recipe. This is a very special sugar cookie—it’s meant for you to take time with it as you roll out the dough, and decorate each one—each cookie is a true gift. It’s about making something special. You can make this recipe into sugar cookies with icing, with this simple recipe I’ve included for frosting for sugar cookies.
When my children were little I made these vegan sugar cookies for every holiday, rolling out cookies and cutting them into shapes that matched the occasion—Easter, Birthday Parties, Halloween, St. Patrick’s Day, Thanksgiving, Valentines Day, and of course, Christmas. My boys would love to help me decorate the Christmas sugar cookies. I’ve been collecting cookie cutters for years, and inherited some from my mother too. Just make up the dough, chill it for a bit, roll it out, cut into shapes with cookie cutters, and decorate the cookies. I have also been collecting cookie decorations when I travel—many of those featured in my photos here are from trips to Europe, where they have beautiful baking traditions. But you can find cookie decorations anywhere! I love to use raisins, chocolate chips, nuts, seeds (like sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds), sprinkles, raisins, and coconut. It’s all about using your creativity!
Watch how I make this recipe in my Plant-Powered Live Cooking show here.
This very special Classic Vegan Sugar Cookie recipe works for all occasions—Christmas Sugar Cookies, Valentines Sugar Cookies, as well as Halloween, Easter, Birthdays, and beyond.
Decorations (as desired):
- To make cookies: Mix egg replacer, 3 tablespoons of the plant-based milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Mix in margarine and sugar.
- Stir in flour just until combined. Add additional plant-based milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, just to make a smooth dough that is not sticky.
- Form dough into a circle, cover, and refrigerate for about 2 hours (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Lightly flour a clean surface and roll out dough to ¼-inch thickness using a rolling pin that has been dusted with flour.
- Cut out dough into desired shapes using cookie cutters that have been lightly floured.
- Place cookies on a baking sheet, allowing space to spread slightly.
- Bake for about 10 – 15 minutes, just until surface starts to turn golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- To Make Icing: Place powdered sugar in a small dish; add vanilla, and mix in just enough plant-based milk to make a smooth, spreadable consistency.
- Decorate cookies with icing and decorations as desired.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie with icing
- Calories: 99
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 42 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Protein: 1 g
Keywords: vegan sugar cookies, soft sugar cookies, christmas sugar cookies, frosting for sugar cookies, easy sugar cookies, sugar cookies with icing
For other cookie recipes, check out some of my favorites:
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information click here.